PARENTING SWEET JULY 2021
WELCOME TO THE INAUGURAL ISSUE OF PARENTING SWEET!
Welcome to Parenting Sweet!
Parenting Sweet is a new resource for parents and caregivers, featuring all the great opportunities in our region that make parenting sweet! Subscribe to read monthly updates and share them with families in your life!
SUMMER IS OFFICIAL!
We reached out to some experts and here are some summer favorites:
- Ashton – The beach and gaming!
- Margaret’s grands – Steele Creek Park, Nature Center, creek play, train
- Zaiah G, 14 – Roller skating!
Bristol’s Promise Making Parenting Sweet
Bristol’s Promise debuts “Parenting Sweet,” a suite of parenting resources, including an enewsletter, blog, classes, resources, parenting support organizations, and a suite located at 100 Ash Street, Bristol, TN, with a library of parenting books, infant and toddler carriers, handouts, and help.
Parenting Sweet works to help make parenting sweet. Parents get connected to support and information because parenting education does make a difference.
Parenting Sweet helps us keep our five promises of caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, effective education, and opportunities to serve. Learn more about great resources, like the Parenting Education Network, MOMS R US, Highlands Community Services, Breastfeeding Essentials, La Leche League Breastfeeding Support, Cherished Mom, Attached at the Heart Classes, Twin City Reads, Buckle Up for Life, and more.
Join us for our grand opening on August 6 at 10:00 am, at our Suite at 100 Ash Street, Bristol, TN 37620, featuring tours, introductions, prizes, refreshments, and resources!
- Border Bash at Cumberland Square Park. July 4, children’s activities and vendors begin at 6:30 PM and live music will kick off at 7:00 PM.
- Elizabethton Covered Bridge Park, July 3, 4:00 pm to dark.
- Abingdon – Latture Field, 425 West Main Street
- Bristol, Tenn. and South Holston Lake, Observation Knob Park, Fireworks at 9:45 p.m. on July 3
- Blountville, July 3 at 2 p.m., Blountville Ruritan Annual Independence Day Parade begins at Oak Street/Keystone Drive
- Jonesborough, July 3, Main Stage Entertainment at 6 p.m., Washington County Courthouse and July 4 Fireworks at 10 p.m. downtown
- Kingsport, July 3 at 7 p.m. downtown, Fireworks at 9:45pm
- Bristol Public Library: Monday – Wednesday 9 am- 8 pm, Friday – Saturday 9 am – 5 pm, and Sunday 2 pm – 5 pm
- Steele Creek Park: Park 9 am – 9pm everyday and Splashpad 10 am – 8 pm everyday
- Bristol Farmer’s Market: May – October on Saturdays 8 am – noon, and from July – September on Wednesdays 2 pm – 6 pm
- Skateway: Morning and evening weekend and weekday hours
- Skatepark: Sunday – Saturday, 9 am to 9 pm
- Putt Putt Fun Center: Monday – Saturday 9 am – 11:30 pm, Sunday 12 pm – 11:30 pm
- Downtown Caterpillar Crawl – available 24/7
Let us help you with tips, information, support, resources, and more! Sign up now to register for Attached at the Heart Online parenting classes. Classes are free of charge and meet Thursdays at 7:00 pm. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attached at the Heart Parenting Online classes serve parents and caregivers of children from prenatal through 5 years of age.
Here are nine child-rearing tips that can help you feel more fulfilled as a parent
Boosting Your Child’s Self-Esteem.
Catch Kids Being Good.
Set Limits and Be Consistent With Your Discipline.
Make Time for Your Kids.
Be a Good Role Model.
Make Communication a Priority.
Be Flexible and Willing to Adjust Your Parenting Style.
- BCMA Pickin’ Camp Beginners and Intermediate – July 12-16th 9 am – 3 pm
- NJTL Tennis Camp – June 14-23 July, you can come one week or all six
- Bristol State Liners baseball games
Bristol Public Library Popular Children’s Books
- Dog Man Unleashed
- An Elephant & Piggie Biggie-Biggie!
- The Pigeon has to go to School!
- I Will Take a Nap!
- I’m a Frog!
Visit Bristol Public Library to find your favorite book!
Buckle Up for Life – Car Seat Checks and More
Buckle Up for Life began in Bristol in 2013 and is headed up by Samuel Jones, certified technician. Contact Samuel to learn more about car seat safety checks, installations and trainings.
Hiring – Summer Jobs for Teens
Know places hiring teens? Email email@example.com
TriCities Babywearing features trained babywearing consultants by the Center for Babywearing Studies, slings, buckle carriers, and mei dais to try, and resources. Contact us to learn more!
Teen childbirth and parenting classes, support groups, and resources, learn more!
Reading makes all the difference! Language, knowledge, and curiosity are the cornerstones of reading success that should be cultivated from infancy, and in every setting. That’s why we created a great early experience with reading: It’s Bristol Baby! board book.
Music Downtown Bristol
Enjoy Border Bash all summer!
- July 4 – Amythyst Kiah and Virginia Ground featuring Dave Eggar
- July 23 – CASH Revisited and Zach McNabb & The Tennessee Esquires
- August 13 – Josh Daniels Grateful Band and These Undowners
- August 27 – Abby Bryant & The Echoes and Donnie & The Dry Heavers
Boss Baby Family Business
F9 – The Fast Saga
- July 6 & 7: How to Train your Dragon – The Hidden World and Goosebumps 2 – Haunted Halloween
- July 13 & 14: Despicable Me and Spider-Man – Into the Spider-Verse
- July 20 & 21: Sing and The Angry Birds 2 Movie
Support for this program is provided by Ballad Population Health and Bristol Public Housing.
Parenting Sweet Team: Sunshine Hess, Jess Parkulo, Katherine Wilson-Thompson, Lauren Weatherly, Margaret Feierabend, and Samantha Gray.
Have information to share? Submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.